Official Forum for Esamir, a Nationstates Region.


    (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Share
    avatar
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 999
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 42
    Location : Ann Arbor, Michigan

    (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Eurasia on Sat May 02, 2015 5:22 am

    Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015
    General Assembly

    Article I: Overview

    • Section 1: The Esamir Terraforming Authority is hereby established as a branch of the Esamir Government.
    • Section 2: The Esamir Terraforming Authority, heretofore known as the ETA, is the sole regulatory authority for terraforming activities.
    • Section 3: All nations must obey laws set forth herein and enacted by the ETA, which shall be comprised by nations that maintain a space program.
    • Section 4: Actions undertaken by the ETA shall be within the bounds of the Esamir Charter and all other laws that regulate its authority.
    • Section 5: The ETA shall be made up of five members, of whom a chief administrator shall be elected to oversee the implementation of regulations.
    • Section 6: An Earth-like atmosphere is hereby designated as an atmosphere that provides 14.7 lbs/in² (1033.51 g/cm²) of pressure and an atmosphere made up predominantly of gaseous nitrogen and oxygen capable of supporting oxygen based lifeforms.
    • Section 7: Life is defined as anything existing that is either unicellular or multi-celled, requires some sort of food to survive (even autotrophs produce food, just for themselves), and/or DNA, RNA, or a an equivalent for storing genetic information.


    Article II: Terraforming

    • Section 1: All terraforming must be approved by the Esamir Terraforming Authority.
    • Section 2: The act of terraforming must have approval from the ETA and failure to have said approval will result in criminal prosecution.
    • Section 3: The ETA reserves the right to prosecute the unlawful terraformation of a planet via the Court of Justice.
    • Section 4: Terraforming itself may only take place if the planet is inhospitable for human life without it.
    • Section 5: Should a planet be believed lifeless but life be discovered whilst terraforming is ongoing, all terraformation activities shall cease while scientific authorities authorized by the ETA or whomever has jurisdiction in the area attempts to confirm if the presence of an Earth-like atmosphere should prove harmful to said lifeform.
    • Section 5a: Should it be found that an Earth-like atmosphere would be harmful to said organism, terraforming activities will be banned permanently on that planetary body unless revoked by the General Assembly in a 2/3 vote.
    • Section 5b: Should it be found that an Earth-like atmosphere would not harm the life forms, terraforming may continue.


    Article III: Colonization

    • Section 1: Nations are permitted to claim land on another planet for the purpose of the establishment of colonies and research for as long as they so choose.
    • Section 2: The development of colonies shall not extend to another nation's territory.
    • Section 3: Nations are strictly forbidden to engage in warfare against another nation's colonies unless in a defensive measure being that they have already been attacked. Nation's who undertake any offensive action will be subject to trial before the Court of Justice possible revocation of their ability to colonize.
    • Section 4: Colonies that will no longer be utilized by the the constructing nation will either be sold to the Esamir Government for proper decommission or decommissioned themselves. Nation's may not leave colonies abandoned.


    Last edited by Eurasia on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:23 am; edited 4 times in total
    avatar
    Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

    Posts : 376
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 20
    Location : Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Zackalantis on Sat May 02, 2015 5:46 am

    The UKZ stands firmly opposed to this RESOLUTION!!!

    The UKZ has never seen a more flawed or corrupted piece of legislation on the floor of this house.

    There are several contradictions in this entire resolution and nothing has been done to keep space as a neutral realm.

    This resolution, we can say as a developing nation is against the interests of all developing nations and an attempt to build a power club of nations in space.

    UKZ is appaled at the ideas presented here in this resolution. But we believe that if we qork together with the author we can establish a better, and more fair resolution.

    OOC: Why are we still calling it Acts it's now called resolutions. I get that using the UN format of resolutions may not be very comfortable as many of you are used to this format. But can we please call them resos instead.
    avatar
    Hunhewuguo
    Authority
    Authority

    Posts : 64
    Join date : 2014-11-04
    Location : United States

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Hunhewuguo on Sat May 02, 2015 5:55 am

    Art. II, Sec. 5 - How is life being defined for this bill?

    Art. III - Add this (or similar): "Section 5: No nation may claim more than <insert number here> percent of the land on planet." Without a size limit, the first nation to colonize could theoretically claim the entire planet, and based on the other laws in this bill, they could have exclusive access to the planet. I'm aware that the ETA would decide if a claim is too large or not, but putting it in the bill itself makes it easier for the ETA since they won't need to reject incredibly large claims.
    avatar
    Duresia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 146
    Join date : 2014-08-05
    Age : 23
    Location : Göteborg, Sweden

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Duresia on Sat May 02, 2015 5:59 am

    Europe and Asia wrote:Section 5: The ETA shall be made up of five members, of whom a chief administrator shall be elected to oversee the implementation of regulations.

    Any reason for five members?


    Zackalantis wrote:The UKZ stands firmly opposed to this RESOLUTION!!!

    The UKZ has never seen a more flawed or corrupted piece of legislation on the floor of this house.

    There are several contradictions in this entire resolution and nothing has been done to keep space as a neutral realm.

    This resolution, we can say as a developing nation is against the interests of all developing nations and an attempt to build a power club of nations in space.

    UKZ is appaled at the ideas presented here in this resolution. But we believe that if we qork together with the author we can establish a better, and more fair resolution.

    OOC: Why are we still calling it Acts it's now called resolutions. I get that using the UN format of resolutions may not be very comfortable as many of you are used to this format. But can we please call them resos instead.

    Stop acting childish..
    avatar
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 999
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 42
    Location : Ann Arbor, Michigan

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Eurasia on Sat May 02, 2015 6:13 am

    Meigmaland wrote:Art. II, Sec. 5 - How is life being defined for this bill?

    Art. III - Add this (or similar): "Section 5: No nation may claim more than <insert number here> percent of the land on planet." Without a size limit, the first nation to colonize could theoretically claim the entire planet, and based on the other laws in this bill, they could have exclusive access to the planet. I'm aware that the ETA would decide if a claim is too large or not, but putting it in the bill itself makes it easier for the ETA since they won't need to reject incredibly large claims.

    For the purposes of the bill, we would define life as anything existing that is either unicellular or multi-celled, requires some sort of food to survive (even autotrophs produce food, just for themselves), and/or DNA, RNA, or a an equivalent for storing genetic information.

    We agree completely with your point. What percentage did you think would be best?
    avatar
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 999
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 42
    Location : Ann Arbor, Michigan

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Eurasia on Sat May 02, 2015 6:14 am

    Duresia wrote:
    Europe and Asia wrote:Section 5: The ETA shall be made up of five members, of whom a chief administrator shall be elected to oversee the implementation of regulations.

    Any reason for five members?

    So if there is a difficult issue the ETA can't split down the middle and not make a decision. Five members would mean there is always a majority.
    avatar
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 999
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 42
    Location : Ann Arbor, Michigan

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Eurasia on Sat May 02, 2015 6:15 am

    Zackalantis wrote:The UKZ stands firmly opposed to this RESOLUTION!!!

    The UKZ has never seen a more flawed or corrupted piece of legislation on the floor of this house.

    There are several contradictions in this entire resolution and nothing has been done to keep space as a neutral realm.

    This resolution, we can say as a developing nation is against the interests of all developing nations and an attempt to build a power club of nations in space.

    UKZ is appaled at the ideas presented here in this resolution. But we believe that if we qork together with the author we can establish a better, and more fair resolution.

    OOC: Why are we still calling it Acts it's now called resolutions. I get that using the UN format of resolutions may not be very comfortable as many of you are used to this format. But can we please call them resos instead.

    If you don't have anything substantive to add then we request the Zackalantis delegate stop acting childish and cease speaking.
    avatar
    Duresia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 146
    Join date : 2014-08-05
    Age : 23
    Location : Göteborg, Sweden

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Duresia on Sat May 02, 2015 6:28 am

    Europe and Asia wrote:
    Duresia wrote:
    Europe and Asia wrote:Section 5: The ETA shall be made up of five members, of whom a chief administrator shall be elected to oversee the implementation of regulations.

    Any reason for five members?

    So if there is a difficult issue the ETA can't split down the middle and not make a decision. Five members would mean there is always a majority.

    That we understood, it's just that 5 seems like a very small number for something as big as space. As for the rest of the bill, if the ammendment by Megimaland is adden then we are ready to vote yes.

    Also, how does one become a member of ETA? Elections? And are the seats permanent?
    avatar
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 999
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 42
    Location : Ann Arbor, Michigan

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Eurasia on Sat May 02, 2015 6:31 am

    Duresia wrote:
    Europe and Asia wrote:
    Duresia wrote:
    Europe and Asia wrote:Section 5: The ETA shall be made up of five members, of whom a chief administrator shall be elected to oversee the implementation of regulations.

    Any reason for five members?

    So if there is a difficult issue the ETA can't split down the middle and not make a decision. Five members would mean there is always a majority.

    That we understood, it's just that 5 seems like a very small number for something as big as space. As for the rest of the bill, if the ammendment by Megimaland is adden then we are ready to vote yes.

    Also, how does one become a member of ETA? Elections? And are the seats permanent?

    I was planning to have the GE vote on whomever wants to be on the council and then the seats would be up for reelection every time we do an SC election.
    avatar
    Duresia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 146
    Join date : 2014-08-05
    Age : 23
    Location : Göteborg, Sweden

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Duresia on Sat May 02, 2015 7:08 am

    Europe and Asia wrote:
    Duresia wrote:
    Europe and Asia wrote:
    Duresia wrote:
    Europe and Asia wrote:Section 5: The ETA shall be made up of five members, of whom a chief administrator shall be elected to oversee the implementation of regulations.

    Any reason for five members?

    So if there is a difficult issue the ETA can't split down the middle and not make a decision. Five members would mean there is always a majority.

    That we understood, it's just that 5 seems like a very small number for something as big as space. As for the rest of the bill, if the ammendment by Megimaland is adden then we are ready to vote yes.

    Also, how does one become a member of ETA? Elections? And are the seats permanent?

    I was planning to have the GE vote on whomever wants to be on the council and then the seats would be up for reelection every time we do an SC election.

    Sounds good. As for now we are for the bill.
    avatar
    Kaevi
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

    Posts : 335
    Join date : 2014-08-04

    Information

    Post by Kaevi on Sat May 02, 2015 8:01 am

    The debate period shall now begin. It shall last five days, ending on May 5, 2015, at 00:00 UTC. Following the voting period, a three-day voting period shall commence. The Speaker may extend the debate period if requested by a 4/5 majority of nations debating a bill, and may close it with a 4/5 consensus. The author of the proposal may also close the debate with the permission of the Speaker.

    Votes will be counted via simple majority of nations present. Nations may submit a vote of for, against, or abstention. The Speaker wishes to inform abstention voters that votes of abstention will be counted as votes in favor. Votes cast during the debate period will not be counted.
    avatar
    Federation of Antanares
    Global Force
    Global Force

    Posts : 315
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 23
    Location : Italy

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Federation of Antanares on Sat May 02, 2015 8:14 am

    We would ask for the elimination of the member numbers for the Council. Sincerely, I think the space is a big affair, for all the nations involved in its exploration and in the colonization of new worlds.
    I think the ETA must be opened for every nations that is involved in space affairs, maintaining the same rules described in the act, without the limit of 5 members. I think this would help for a better and equal organization.
    avatar
    New Tarajan
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 547
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 26
    Location : Rome

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by New Tarajan on Sat May 02, 2015 8:21 am

    The delegate of New Tarajan wishes to make some points about this proposal.

    First, a formal one: this is not an ACT, but a RESOLUTION. Please, change the name accordingly (OOC: I know, it could seem stupid..but we are trying to establish a new kind of legislative process through the UN-like system so...also names matter).

    Secondly: we don't understand what is the point of this Resolution, when it talks about terraformation.
    Isn't it impossible?

    And we don't agree with its composition, as mandated by the Resolution: we believe a more comprehensive system should be adopted.
    avatar
    Duresia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 146
    Join date : 2014-08-05
    Age : 23
    Location : Göteborg, Sweden

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Duresia on Sat May 02, 2015 8:54 am

    New Tarajan wrote:The delegate of New Tarajan wishes to make some points about this proposal.

    First, a formal one: this is not an ACT, but a RESOLUTION. Please, change the name accordingly (OOC: I know, it could seem stupid..but we are trying to establish a new kind of legislative process through the UN-like system so...also names matter).

    Secondly: we don't understand what is the point of this Resolution, when it talks about terraformation.
    Isn't it impossible?

    And we don't agree with its composition, as mandated by the Resolution: we believe a more comprehensive system should be adopted.

    Could the delegate of New Tarajan give an example of such system?
    avatar
    New Tarajan
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 547
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 26
    Location : Rome

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by New Tarajan on Sat May 02, 2015 8:58 am

    Our idea is that the ETA should be composed, at least, by all thouse countries which are actively engaged in space activities.
    avatar
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 999
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 42
    Location : Ann Arbor, Michigan

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Eurasia on Sat May 02, 2015 9:45 am

    New Tarajan wrote:The delegate of New Tarajan wishes to make some points about this proposal.

    First, a formal one: this is not an ACT, but a RESOLUTION. Please, change the name accordingly (OOC: I know, it could seem stupid..but we are trying to establish a new kind of legislative process through the UN-like system so...also names matter).

    Secondly: we don't understand what is the point of this Resolution, when it talks about terraformation.
    Isn't it impossible?

    And we don't agree with its composition, as mandated by the Resolution: we believe a more comprehensive system should be adopted.

    This is preemptive, obviously. And Eurasia believes that New Tarajan is conflating completed terraforming, which could take hundreds of years, and the beginning process, which is perfectly possible if one can establish colonies.
    avatar
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 999
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 42
    Location : Ann Arbor, Michigan

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Eurasia on Sat May 02, 2015 9:46 am

    New Tarajan wrote:Our idea is that the ETA should be composed, at least, by all thouse countries which are actively engaged in space activities.

    The five member council (or however many, we are open to suggestions) merely allows the council to be more efficacious and fluid in its operation. The more people present, the longer decisions will take.
    avatar
    Federation of Antanares
    Global Force
    Global Force

    Posts : 315
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 23
    Location : Italy

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Federation of Antanares on Sat May 02, 2015 9:57 am

    Europe and Asia wrote:The five member council (or however many, we are open to suggestions) merely allows the council to be more efficacious and fluid in its operation. The more people present, the longer decisions will take.

    In a case like this, and I'm talking about the entire question of space research and exploration, I think is better have a larger council, but slower, than one smaller and faster.
    avatar
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 999
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 42
    Location : Ann Arbor, Michigan

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Eurasia on Sat May 02, 2015 10:01 am

    Federation of Antanares wrote:
    Europe and Asia wrote:The five member council (or however many, we are open to suggestions) merely allows the council to be more efficacious and fluid in its operation. The more people present, the longer decisions will take.

    In a case like this, and I'm talking about the entire question of space research and exploration, I think is better have a larger council, but slower, than one smaller and faster.

    Eurasia is willing to increase the size to perhaps nine members, but we feel that it also needs to be considered as to how many nations are capable of being on it.

    (OOC: Not sure we have enough activity.)
    avatar
    Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

    Posts : 376
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 20
    Location : Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Zackalantis on Sat May 02, 2015 3:52 pm

    The Following are the Zack objections to this Resolution.

    1. The UKZ stands firmly opposed to Terraformation as we do not have enough information about it. We do not know how the geology of any celestial body would react to such a drastic change or we do not know if this this new earth like atmosphere will take on a deatructive role or contort into something horrific.
    We do not know if by establishing earth like conditions new life will begin to evolve- the moral and scientific effects of the same could be well beyond our capacity to comprehend.

    2. If terraformation is legalized by the international community by some folly, it needs effecient, strict and fair regulation.
    Art.I-3: why allow only those nations into the committee that have space programmes what abput those nations that are trying to establish a space programme?
    It wouldn't be fair to them
    Art I-5: Why have this 5 member committee? This is yet again another attempt to keep certain nations in power only thereby preventing other developing natio s, like ourselves to succeed.

    Art II- 5a: Behold yet another attempt by regional superpowers to continue their attempts of dominance. Why do we need a GA vote? If life is found, that's it terraformation must STOP.

    Art II- 5b: No matter how much our nations have advanced in science and technology, there is no way we may ever know if an alien organism can or cannot be harmed by the environment. Also it should be noted that these organisms would have developed in non-earth like conditions, by continuing terraformation we change the ecology of the planet. We alter the course of that organisms evolution.
    That's smilar to clearing out an entire rainforest and expecting those animals whose habitat you have changed to survive. IT IS ILLOGICAL and UNETHICAL.

    Art III- 1: the UKZ wishes to see space as a neutral territory and claiming land ruins that. However if it is the wish of the international community then the UKZ shall not push forward the idea of a neutral and peaceful space.

    Art III- 2: let us define ‘development'. Does terraformation come under ‘development'?
    Cause if it does we have a serious problem on our hands. Different nations are going to establish different colonies at different times and are going to begin terraformation at different times. The chaos that will ensue will be disastrous.
    A. We cannot terraform only a small piece of land. How will thise new atmosphere react with the atmosphere of the rest of the planet?
    B. What if two colonies at very different stages in terraformation have their atmospheres react?
    We don't know what the repercussions will be. But it is not a chance that we should be willing to take.

    Art III-3: The best way we can avoid war in space is if we prevent weapons in space. BAN THE WEAPONISATION OF SPACE.
    On Earth weapons are used as a deterrent. We dont need such in space. Let's keep it peaceful.

    Art III-4: Sold? Who and who will the price be determined? I think it's better if we leave this to the responsibility of the Founding nations of those colonies. They built the colony, they should dismantle it.

    These are our main objections to this resolution. The best way we can fix it is to delete Article I & II and heavily ammend Article III, which effectively leads to the drastic change of this entire resolution. So tje best way to fix this resolution is to fail it.
    And work together for a better regulation of the final frontier.





    avatar
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 999
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 42
    Location : Ann Arbor, Michigan

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Eurasia on Sun May 03, 2015 12:56 am

    [quote="Zackalantis"]The Following are the Zack objections to this Resolution.

    Zackalantis wrote:1. The UKZ stands firmly opposed to Terraformation as we do not have enough information about it. We do not know how the geology of any celestial body would react to such a drastic change or we do not know if this this new earth like atmosphere will take on a deatructive[sic] role or contort[sic] into something horrific.
    We do not know if by establishing earth like conditions new life will begin to evolve- the moral and scientific effects of the same could be well beyond our capacity to comprehend.

    Firstly, if the UKZ delegate is supposing that the entire planet will somehow shift itself simply because the atmosphere changed then we are concerned that the UKZ delegate simply does not understand how geology functions. Secondly, if new life begins to evolve (if from nothingness again it does not work that way.) then that will be beneficial. Also, new life wouldn't evolve because the moment we found new life then we would stop terraforming. Lastly, moral and scientific effects are again named, but the UKZ delegate has yet again failed to provide any examples of this.

    Zackalantis wrote:2. If terraformation is legalized by the international community by some folly, it needs effecient, strict and fair regulation.

    We agree. Hence this law.

    Zackalantis wrote:Art.I-3: why allow only those nations into the committee that have space programmes what abput those nations that are trying to establish a space programme?
    It wouldn't be fair to them

    Why should a nation that doesn't have a space program be on a council that regulates space programs? That is asinine in the extreme. If a nation didn't have a military would we put them on a military regulation committee?

    [quote="Zackalantis"]Art I-5: Why have this 5 member committee? This is yet again another attempt to keep certain nations in power only thereby preventing other developing natio [sic], like ourselves to succeed.
    Zackalantis wrote:e is simply to always have a majority and prevent deadlock. We are open to increasing it to perhaps nine, but that is the extent how large it will get.

    [quote="Zackalantis"]Art II- 5a: Behold yet another attempt by regional superpowers to continue their attempts of dominance. Why do we need a GA vote? If life is found, that's it terraformation must STOP.

    Behold yet another attempt by an irrelevant nation to make itself relevant. Really now, how in any way does this look like Eurasia, New-Zealand, and New Tarajan attempting to continue our "dominance"? The GA vote is simply to allow the democratic process to take place. Suppose life is found but it is isolated and there is a high probability that terraforming won't harm it. The GA could vote to continue it.

    Zackalantis wrote:Art II- 5b: No matter how much our nations have advanced in science and technology, there is no way we may ever know if an alien organism can or cannot be harmed by the environment. Also it should be noted that these organisms would have developed in non-earth like conditions, by continuing terraformation we change the ecology of the planet. We alter the course of that organisms evolution.
    That's smilar[sic] to clearing out an entire rainforest[sic] and expecting those animals whose habitat you have changed to survive. IT IS ILLOGICAL and UNETHICAL.

    Actually, there is, it's called experimentation. We suggest the UKZ delegate research this fascinating idea further. The experiments would find whether or not it would be harmed by an Earth like atmosphere, mainly by exposing it to an Earth-like atmosphere and seeing if it is harmed. If it isn't, terraforming wouldn't harm anything and we could continue unabated. If the UKZ delegate doesn't understand this there is nothing we can do. Furthermore, the comparison drawn by the UKZ delegate is illogical in itself. We would not find life, find it can't survive an Earth-like atmosphere, and then merrily continue terraforming. We would stop. Obviously.

    Zackalantis wrote:Art III- 1: the UKZ wishes to see space as a neutral territory and claiming land ruins that. However if it is the wish of the international community then the UKZ shall not push forward the idea of a neutral and peaceful space.

    Yes, we are well aware.

    Zackalantis wrote:Art III- 2: let us define ‘development'. Does terraformation come under ‘development'?

    Yes, let us define development. It means building colonies.

    Zackalantis wrote:Cause[sic] if it does we have a serious problem on our hands. Different nations are going to establish different colonies at different times and are going to begin terraformation at different times. The chaos that will ensue will be disastrous.

    It doesn't, so this argument is useless.

    Zackalantis wrote:A. We cannot terraform only a small piece of land. How will thise[sic] new atmosphere react with the atmosphere of the rest of the planet?
    B. What if two colonies at very different stages in terraformation have their atmospheres react?

    Statement B is embarrassing, really. It both is directly contradicted by Statement A and reveals a deep misunderstanding of climatology, meteorology, and the simple physics of a gas.

    Zackalantis wrote:We don't know what the repercussions will be. But it is not a chance that we should be willing to take.

    If the UKZ wishes to do nothing to advance itself but still complain it is being sidelined by more advanced nations, that is its prerogative.

    Zackalantis wrote:Art III-3: The best way we can avoid war in space is if we prevent weapons in space. BAN THE WEAPONISATION[sic] OF SPACE.
    On Earth weapons are used as a deterrent. We dont[sic] need such in space. Let's keep it peaceful.

    The best way to avoid a war is deterrents. Hence, this bill bans offensive military action.

    Zackalantis wrote:Art III-4: Sold? Who and who will the price be determined? I think it's better if we leave this to the responsibility of the Founding nations of those colonies. They built the colony, they should dismantle it.

    The buyer and the seller? Again, the UKZ delegate is betraying a misunderstanding of how basic commerce functions. And the article referenced is simply if the country who built it can no longer afford to maintain it, allowing them to sell it to the UNE so it doesn't rot on the surface.

    Eurasia frankly does not see any reasonable objections to the resolution proposed. It is our opinion that the UKZ delegate is letting emotion cloud their judgement due to Eurasia's vociferous protests against their deeply flawed resolution that was removed from the Assembly Floor. We would request that the UKZ either refine its arguments or simply stop acting in a manner unbecoming to a representative to the General Assembly.

    (OOC: If you're salty because of your bill didn't have a great deal of support, I suggest you take it elsewhere. You are clearly grasping at straws in your argument and it is rather embarrassing.)





    avatar
    Hunhewuguo
    Authority
    Authority

    Posts : 64
    Join date : 2014-11-04
    Location : United States

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Hunhewuguo on Sun May 03, 2015 1:14 pm

    Europe and Asia wrote:For the purposes of the bill, we would define life as anything existing that is either unicellular or multi-celled, requires some sort of food to survive (even autotrophs produce food, just for themselves), and/or DNA, RNA, or a an equivalent for storing genetic information.
    That should be added to the text of the resolution, since there may be differing opinions on what constitutes life. Meigmaland agrees with this definition, however.

    Europe and Asia wrote:We agree completely with your point. What percentage did you think would be best?
    I would suggest 75% of the number of active players (not sure how to count that...). So, if there were 20 active members, then each nation could claim about 6.6667% of the planet, using the formula 100/(0.75x), where x is the number of active nations. We could also then round this number to the nearest 10, making it 10% (just an easier number to work with).
    avatar
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

    Posts : 999
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 42
    Location : Ann Arbor, Michigan

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Eurasia on Mon May 04, 2015 3:03 am

    I shall amend it.
    avatar
    Kaevi
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

    Posts : 335
    Join date : 2014-08-04

    Final Vote

    Post by Kaevi on Tue May 05, 2015 12:52 pm

    The debate period has now ended. The voting period shall now begin, ending on May 8, 2015, at 00:00 UTC. Nations may cast a vote in favor, abstention, or against.
    Votes of abstention will be counted as voted in favor. Nations who have resided in the region for at least one week may vote. The result will be decided via simple majority of total votes cast.
    avatar
    Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

    Posts : 376
    Join date : 2014-08-03
    Age : 20
    Location : Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Zackalantis on Tue May 05, 2015 5:11 pm

    AGAINST

    Sponsored content

    Re: (P(I)) Terraforming and Colonization Regulation Resolution of 2015

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:59 pm