Changes to Constitution I propose:
- Unicameral Parliament (12 seats)
- Terms for MPs are extended from 2 months to 3 (elections every 2 months is alot of work for a region our size)
- Ministerial roles are abolished because their roles are already done by founders (MoIA is renamed to Speaker of the House, appointed by Chancellor after elections)
- President (AKA delegate) has the duty of voting in regions best interests in the World Assembly
- Chancellor receives voting powers and can veto bills (veto can be over-ridden by 2/3rds majority in the Parliament)
- Constitutional Conventions can be called by President, Chancellor or 3 members of Parliament
Things I also want to address but have not included:
- Election ties - Last election two parties were tied but one was declared the winner because they posted earlier. I didn't find this fair and I am wondering if anyone has an idea to address this issue
- Bills does not require a certain number of votes to pass through parliament (any legislation will be DOA with this level of activity so if only 1 or 2 people vote, so be it)
We, the nations of Esamir, on this day of August 19th 2014, do pledge that we will live up to our creed in this Constitution. We will be a beacon to the world for our advocacy of Truth, Justice, and Freedom. This Constitution will be the permanent, yet amendable, document from which the Region will function.
Article 1: Government Operations
1. The people of Esamir are proud to establish a democratic presidential government to rule over this region. We also wish this Constitution to be liquid to reflect needed changes in the region.
2. The people of Esamir, due to past experience, hereby proudly announces the vital separation of the Founder from the Government of Esamir. The Founder shall be an shared account operated by 5 chosen nations which will only be a transparent body tasked with administering the region of Esamir and the forum. These 5 people shall be known as The Share Founder Users or Admins. The Founder itself shall have no power whatsoever in the government or roleplaying. Any of the five nations given access to The Designer may decide to give up the power of the Founder but the remaining Share Founder Users of the Founder must complete the process of appointing a nation to the vacant position within three months. Failure to do so within the set time period shall give power to the Parliament to appoint a nation to the post with unicameral approval. As a Shared Founder, it is a rotating seat, meaning that any of the five nations may have access at any time, usually identifying themselves when they post for the general population. As Founder, they have access to the Founder abilities limited by the Government to which the Founder serves. A nation may have access to the Founder revoked with bicameral approval from the Parliament.
Article 2: Legislative Functions
1. The Parliament is a unicameral, or 1 chambered, Parliament called the Esamir Parliament. The number of the seats of both Houses shall change in response to the number of active nations in the region.
2. A member of Parliament, to be known as a MP, is an individual responsible to drafting and voting on potential legislation. To qualify as a MP, a candidate must be in the region for at least a week and have a verified forum account. The minimum number of MP’s is 12. Members of parliament are elected for a term of three months and are eligible for re-election.
3. The Easmir Parliament shall be tasked with proposing and voting on legislation that deal with legislation specifically dealing with interregional issues, matters of security and role-playing in Esamir.
5. A members of the Parliament, Executive, Judiciary and Shared Founder Users may be impeached for improper conduct. If the Parliament continues with the charges, a joint sitting of the entire government without the official being impeached, shall control the trial. If the official is found guilty via a two-thirds majority vote then he/she will be stripped of his/her position and subject to further punishment if necessary.
6. For every 150 nations who join after the region reaches 150 member nations, the Esamir Parliament will gain two seats. The seat number will go down by two for every 150 nations who leave until the base is reached at twelve seats. The maximum number of possible seats shall be sixteen.
7. The a player's main nation may not be a member of both houses at the same time and changes in seat number will go into effect in the next scheduled general election.
Article 3: Executive Functions
1. The Executive Branch known is an association of officials that are democratically elected by majority vote by either parliamentary vote or direct vote by the people.
2. The Executive Branch shall consist of the positions of a Chancellor, a President, and a Council of Ministers.
3. The main duties of the Executive Branch are representing the Esamir Government at home and abroad and supporting the operations of the Parliament.
4. To be elected to an Executive position, a potential candidate must have resided in the region for at least a week and have a verified forum account.
Article 4: Executive Duties
1. The Chancellor as the Head of the Government of Esamir has the primary duty of overseeing the daily operations of the Government. The primary role of that duty is to coordinate the functions of the region, especially recruitment and internal affairs to make sure everything is up to task. The Chancellor may introduce legislation into Parliament and may vote on bills. The Chancellor can also veto a passed bill, but the veto can be over-ridden with a 2/3rds majority in the Parliament. The Chancellor is elected to a two month renewable once consecutively; afterwards, the officeholder must sit out for one term before being eligible again. The Chancellor The Chancellor may be removed from office by a vote of no-confidence by a two-thirds majority vote by the Assembly. If the Chancellor has committed improper conduct he/she may be impeached by a two-thirds majority vote by a joint sitting of the Government.
2. The President (or the WA delegate) has the primary obligation of representing Esamir abroad. The President has a large variety of duties dealing with matters of foreign nature. The most significant power as President is representing Esamir in the World Assembly. The President must represent Esamir in the World Assembly and vote on each proposal. The President is elected to a two month renewable once consecutively; afterwards, the officeholder must sit out for one term before being eligible again. If the President has committed improper conduct he/she may be impeached by a two-thirds majority vote by a joint sitting of the Government.
3. The Chancellor will appoint a Speaker of the House for the Parliament. The Speaker of the House coordinates the legislative process and controls any debates that follow. If needed the Speaker may also make announcement to the region of important government decisions.
Article 5-The Judiciary
1. The Judiciary named the Court of Justice is divided into a three part system. The parts are The Chief Justice, The Associate Justices, and The Jury.
2. The Chief Justice is the leader of the Judiciary. The Chief Justice is elected for a term of 6 months and is eligible for re-election. The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices set the sentences once someone is found guilty by the jury. The CJ will announce the decision of the Jury and implement it as well as overseeing the General Elections.
3. There are to be a minimum of four Associate Justices. The Associate Justices are elected for a term of 2 months and are eligible for re-election. They will support the Chief Justice in civil cases by deciding the outcome. If the Chief of Justice is being elected a Associate Justice will oversee the General Elections.
4. The Jury System is composed of a five-member jury selected in a randomized manner from the active members. To ensure the anonymity for the jury members, accounts labeled "Juror #_" will be assigned to the members who will then decide amongst themselves the verdict by a majority vote. If the defendant wishes to ask for a public listing of the jury votes, the justice leading the court would ask the jury accounts to list their true verdict.
5. The Judiciary shall gain two Associate justice seats when the region contains a total of 300 nations. These two seats can be lost when the region contains less than 300 nations by the week of general elections.
6. Members of the Parliament, Executive, Judiciary and the Shared Founder User if found guilty in a court case may be removed from office by the Judiciary as part of the sentence for a specified time.
7. All the Justices together shall have the power to make rulings on the interpretation of the constitution and laws.
Article 6-Rights of All Nations in Esamir
The Rights listed below are the Rights of the Nations in the Region of Esamir.
1. The Right to vote for Regional President.
2. The Right to vote in polls and have their vote respected.
3. The Right to Amend the Constitution.
4. The Freedom to do whatever they like to their nations, as long as internal security is not threatened.
5. The Right to Free Speech.
6. The Right to protest against their Government.
7. The Right to post on the Regional Message Board.
8. The Right to Choose whether to Participate in Regional Events.
9. The Right to Petition the Government
10. The Right to Leave the Region.
Article 7-General Elections
1. General Elections shall be held every three months in the last week of the final month in which the current government is in power. They shall be elected by a ballot. Candidates can stand either as a member of a Political Party or as an Independent. The President, Chancellor and the Chief Justice will be elected by First Past the Post voting method. Elections where more than one position is to be filled will use a system where the voter can vote either for an Independent or a Political Party. Political Parties will list their candidates in order. The positions will be allocated in proportion to the votes cast for each party and if a party didn’t field enough candidates the next party still with candidates will gain the position. Vacancies for these positions will be filled with reference to the last election result and bye-elections held only once all candidates in that election have either been elected or withdrawn. Such bye-elections if for one position shall use the First Past the Post voting method.
Article 8-The Process of Amending the Constitution
1. Amending the Constitution occurs through a Constitutional Convention, which shall be called by at least three members of Parliament, the Chancellor or the President. At the Convention nations submit and discuss amendments to the Constitution. After due acceptance of the Amendment by a two-thirds majority vote from a joint sitting of Parliament, it will be added to the Constitution.
Last edited by Europe and Asia on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total