Esamir

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum for Esamir, a Nationstates Region.

+9
Kaevi
New Tarajan
Reisal
Unovia Esamir
Fascist Arkannia
Eurasia
Vajorr
Tkhri
Texania
13 posters

Parliament, Judiciary, and Executive Branch

Texania
    Texania
    Authority
    Authority

Parliament, Judiciary, and Executive Branch Empty Parliament, Judiciary, and Executive Branch

Post by Texania Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:38 am

General discussion on the governing body of our region!
    Texania
    Texania
    Authority
    Authority

Parliament, Judiciary, and Executive Branch Empty Re: Parliament, Judiciary, and Executive Branch

Post by Texania Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:39 am

I think we should have a 20 seat parliament.
    Tkhri
    Tkhri

Parliament, Judiciary, and Executive Branch Empty Re: Parliament, Judiciary, and Executive Branch

Post by Tkhri Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:45 am

As I mentioned on the RMB, I would recommend using the Mixed-Member Proportional voting system when electing members for parliament. YouTuber CGP Grey has an excellent video explaining this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT0I-sdoSXU). In his video, the island is split into ranges, but I don't think that is necessary in Esamir. I would just have each individual nation count as one "range."
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Parliament, Judiciary, and Executive Branch Empty Executive Branch

Post by Vajorr Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:57 am

To all nations: Here post your ideas on Esamir's executive branch.
    It is imperative that we create a working regional government as soon as possible so please if you have any ideas don't be afraid to post them here.
    Current Ideas:

Last edited by Planita on Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tkhri
    Tkhri

Post by Tkhri Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:06 am

If you examine my posts on the RMB (and here, but there has only been one here as of now), you will know that I like YouTuber CGP Grey's videos. I highly recommend subscribing to his channel. Anyway...

... I recommend using the Alternative Vote for counting the votes after the delegate election (good explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE&list=UU2C_jShtL725hvbm1arSV9w). It might make counting the votes a bit harder, but it seems worth it.
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Vajorr Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:06 am

Tkhri wrote:If you examine my posts on the RMB (and here, but there has only been one here as of now), you will know that I like YouTuber CGP Grey's videos. I highly recommend subscribing to his channel. Anyway...

... I recommend using the Alternative Vote for counting the votes after the delegate election (good explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE&list=UU2C_jShtL725hvbm1arSV9w). It might make counting the votes a bit harder, but it seems worth it.
    I am thinking of doing that as well
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Vajorr Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:08 am

umm... this is for the executive branch, not the legislature
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:08 am

I have an idea for parliament. I'll post it when I get more free time.
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:09 am

Sorry, clicked the wrong topic.
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Vajorr Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:15 am

Here are my ideas:

1. Have multiple executive positions: The reason why I propose this is so that power is spread out and checked and balanced. You can propose powers to them if you want
    The Major Positions:

• Chancellor: Head of Government, elected by Parliament, handles domestic affairs  
    • President: WA Delegate, elected by the people, Chief of State, handles foreign affairs

Like in many regions, there are ministers that advise and run the government

Council of Ministers

• Ministry of Intelligence: tasked with protecting Esamir, works with the Court,keeps tabs on Eurussia  Twisted Evil 
    • Ministry for Foreign Affairs: headed by the WA delegate, promotes friendly relations with allied regions, and advises the WA delegate
    • Ministry of Communications:  manages the Regional Newspaper, makes announcements to the region
    • Ministry for Immigration: Helps the Designer with recruiting new nations,

So what do you guys think?

Last edited by Planita on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:11 am; edited 6 times in total
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:31 am

Planita wrote:Here are my ideas:

1. Have multiple executive positions: The reason why I propose this is so that power is spread out and checked and balanced. You can propose powers to them if you want
    The Major Positions:

• Chancellor: Head of Government elected by Parliament, handles foreign and domestic affairs  
    • President: WA Delegate, elected by the people, Chief of State , handles administrative affairs

Council of Ministers

• Ministry of Intelligence: Spies!
    • Ministry for Foreign Affairs: approves embassies, also advises the WA delegate
    • Ministry for Recruitment: obvious
    • Ministry of Justice: obvious

I think that the Ministry of Intelligence is unnecessary, as spies are nonexistent. Foreign Affairs is not needed, as approval of embassies should fall in the legislative. Recruitment I'm fine with. Ministry of Justice should be renamed the Supreme Tribunal or something along those lines and be the successor to the COJ.
    Tkhri
    Tkhri

Parliament, Judiciary, and Executive Branch Empty Re: Here are my ideas:...

Post by Tkhri Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:35 am

The Major Positions:

• Chancellor: Head of Government elected by Parliament, handles foreign and domestic affairs  
    • President: WA Delegate, elected by the people, Chief of State , handles administrative affairs

Council of Ministers

• Ministry of Intelligence: Spies!
    • Ministry for Foreign Affairs: approves embassies, also advises the WA delegate
    • Ministry of Justice: obvious

Sounds good. The only thing I would change is that I would have the WA Delegate be in charge of foreign affairs, since s/he is already dealing with other nations (at least, that's the impression I get. I actually don't know what the WA Delegate does.....).
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Vajorr Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:41 am

Spoiler:
    I think the Ministry of Intelligence will be needed in case Eurussia decides to do some shady things. the Foreign Affair's job can shift to advising the WA delegate and being delegates to other regions. We can change the Justice part.

Spoiler:
    Maybe
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:12 am

I agree. Delegate should handle Foreign Affairs.
    Tkhri
    Tkhri

Post by Tkhri Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:14 am

Europe and Asia wrote:I agree. Delegate should handle Foreign Affairs.
    Planita edited his original post. It now has Delegate handling foreign affairs.
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Vajorr Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:28 am

I also propose creating an Executive Council with certain powers
    Tkhri
    Tkhri

Post by Tkhri Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:33 am

Planita wrote:I also propose creating an Executive Council with certain powers

Don't we already have that? You wrote,

Planita wrote:
    Council of Ministers

• Ministry of Intelligence: tasked with protecting Esamir, keeps tabs on Eurussia  Twisted Evil 
    • Ministry for Foreign Affairs: delegates with friendly regions, and advises the WA delegate

Fascist Arkannia
    Fascist Arkannia

Post by Fascist Arkannia Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:59 am

An Executive Council, where they're below the Parliament, but above the Council of Ministers?
    Fascist Arkannia
    Fascist Arkannia

Post by Fascist Arkannia Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:02 am

Parliament, should consist of a represenative from each nation. If the votes are undecided, it should then have votes between the heads of the Parliament. It gives every nation a voice, and the ability to practice democracy.
    Unovia Esamir
    Unovia Esamir

Post by Unovia Esamir Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:04 am

Hello!
    I hate to interfere in your Convention, but I am here to observe the convention and record the elements that the Region wants in their constitution.
    I will be combining all elements of the constitution into the proper document.
    Sorry for the interruption.
    Tkhri
    Tkhri

Post by Tkhri Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:20 am

Fascist Arkannia wrote:Parliament, should consist of a represenative from each nation. If the votes are undecided, it should then have votes between the heads of the Parliament. It gives every nation a voice, and the ability to practice democracy.

How do you have one representative from each nation, if each nation is counted as one individual? Should everyone be a part of the Parliament? If so, what's the point of a Parliament, especially since we can just talk about it in the RMB, and create regional polls or create an MMP and/or Alternate Vote voting system(s) to vote?

Last edited by Tkhri on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:50 am

Having a direct democracy isn't feasible for a region of our size. I like the MMP idea.
    Reisal
    Reisal
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Reisal Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:02 am

I like the system where we have party lists and nations vote for parties. The size of the parliament should be determined later on when we get a sense of what the regional population will end up being
    Reisal
    Reisal
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Reisal Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:04 am

The Major Positions:

• Chancellor: Head of Government elected by Parliament, handles and domestic affairs  
    • President: WA Delegate, elected by the people, Chief of State,  handles foreign affairs

Council of Ministers

• Ministry of Intelligence: tasked with protecting Esamir, keeps tabs on Eurussia  Twisted Evil 
    • Ministry for Foreign Affairs: delegates with friendly regions, and advises the WA delegate

I like this idea.
    New Tarajan
    New Tarajan
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by New Tarajan Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:07 am

The idea is good.

But wouldn't it be better to merge the WA Delegate with the Ministry for Foreign Affairs?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 am