Esamir

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum for Esamir, a Nationstates Region.

+10
Federation of Antanares
Arveyres
Duresia
Kaevi
The New England Union
New Tarajan
Eurasia
Vajorr
Reisal
Unovia Esamir
14 posters

The Esamir Constitution-First Draft

Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

The Esamir Constitution-First Draft - Page 3 Empty Re: The Esamir Constitution-First Draft

Post by Vajorr Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:26 am

I am creating a updated draft, and I will consider your points. Thank you for your time spent here!
    Vernius
    Vernius

The Esamir Constitution-First Draft - Page 3 Empty Re: The Esamir Constitution-First Draft

Post by Vernius Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:10 am

I like the idea of a Minister of Communication and a Minister of Culture, but you could have one position have the powers and responsibilities of both (running the regional newspapers and organizing events).

Personally, I would like the idea of a separate position for Recruitment. The Founders and Delegate already have a lot of responsibilities; having a different person in charge of recruitment means that person only has to focus on one job. Hopefully, that means that the Minister will do a better than average job of recruiting.
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Vajorr Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:10 pm

I've created my own draft from what we gathered up. If you don't like something don't forget to leave a note!
    My Draft:
    CURRENT ISSUES:

• Executive Powers
    • Finalizing Ministries
    • Powers of Ministries

Last edited by Planita on Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kaevi
    Kaevi
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

Post by Kaevi Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:56 am

Planita wrote:I've created my own draft from what we gathered up. If you don't like something don't forget to leave a note!
    My Draft:
    CURRENT ISSUES:

• Executive Powers
    • Finalizing Ministries
    • Powers of Ministries

On the Security Senate and Esamir Assembly, when you say repeatable terms do you mean that members can only hold a certain number of terms before becoming ineligible for any more parliamentary service, or that a member can only succeed oneself a certain number of times before being required to take a break and run for reelection in the following elections?

Also, on the jury part of the document, can the name "Jury #_" be changed to "Juror #_"? When originally proposing the idea it apparently never crossed me that "juror" meant individual members of a jury, whereas "jury" means a collective body of jurors.

For elections, I think we should elect individual members to whatever post they register for instead of allowing one member (leader of political party in question) to pick favorites when potentially getting fewer seats than total members.
    Reisal
    Reisal
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Reisal Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:41 am

Planita wrote:I've created my own draft from what we gathered up. If you don't like something don't forget to leave a note!
    My Draft:
    CURRENT ISSUES:

• Executive Powers
    • Finalizing Ministries
    • Powers of Ministries

I think members of parliament should not have term limits
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:04 am

Talanzaar wrote:
    My Draft:
    CURRENT ISSUES:

• Executive Powers
    • Finalizing Ministries
    • Powers of Ministries

I think members of parliament should not have term limits

I agree. Term limits don't make sense for elected legislators.
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Vajorr Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:50 pm

So... you are essentially saying they will have those seats forever?
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Planita wrote:So... you are essentially saying they will have those seats forever?

No, a term is how many times they can be reelected.
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Vajorr Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Oh Its been changed
    Reisal
    Reisal
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Reisal Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Also, having an election for the Security Senate every month seems like a bit much. We should have all elections in the same time period every two or so months.
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Vajorr Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Didn't we have a election every month in the World Alliance?
    Reisal
    Reisal
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Reisal Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:29 pm

"The Chancellor is elected to a two month term repeatable only once by members of the Esamir Assembly"
    "The President is elected by the people to a two month term repeatable once consecutively only"

I think a better idea would be that a nation can hold office as President/Chancellor for two consecutive terms (hey can run for re-election), but then is ineligible to serve again until sitting out one complete term.
    Reisal
    Reisal
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Reisal Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Planita wrote:Didn't we have a election every month in the World Alliance?
    No, I think it was every two months
    Vajorr
    Vajorr
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Vajorr Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Talanzaar wrote:"The Chancellor is elected to a two month term repeatable only once by members of the Esamir Assembly"
    "The President is elected by the people to a two month term repeatable once consecutively only"

I think a better idea would be that a nation can hold office as President/Chancellor for two consecutive terms (hey can run for re-election), but then is ineligible to serve again until sitting out one complete term.
    That was one of my ideas, but I didn't know how to put it into words
    Reisal
    Reisal
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Reisal Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:34 pm

Planita wrote:
    Talanzaar wrote:"The Chancellor is elected to a two month term repeatable only once by members of the Esamir Assembly"

That was one of my ideas, but I didn't know how to put it into words
    Alright. This allows nations to serve again (I think we will eventually run out of nations to fill those roles if we keep that old rule)

Also, so far there are 33 elected offices that will be up for election. Do you think we will be able to fill all 33 offices?
    Fascist Arkannia
    Fascist Arkannia

Post by Fascist Arkannia Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:46 pm

With a 100 nations and growing, I think we can.
    Vernius
    Vernius

Post by Vernius Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:36 pm

Talanzaar wrote: Also, so far there are 33 elected offices that  will be up for election. Do you think we will be able to fill all 33 offices?

We could hold a poll that asks "if the proposed Constitution was adopted today, would you be interested in holding one of the political offices?". If there are more than 33 responses, it may be safe to assume the positions will be filled.
    Kaevi
    Kaevi
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

Post by Kaevi Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 am

Talanzaar wrote: No, I think it was every two months

Actually, it was every three months.

Vernius wrote:
    Talanzaar wrote: Also, so far there are 33 elected offices that  will be up for election. Do you think we will be able to fill all 33 offices?

We could hold a poll that asks "if the proposed Constitution was adopted today, would you be interested in holding one of the political offices?". If there are more than 33 responses, it may be safe to assume the positions will be filled.

Saying you're going to do something and actually doing it are two different things. We should allow some roles to be filled by same person, except for the judiciary. While I do hope more nations become active on the forums in the future, we should have a plan in place that would take care of the eventual lull in activity.
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:00 am

Kaevi wrote:
    Talanzaar wrote: No, I think it was every two months

Actually, it was every three months.

Vernius wrote:

Saying you're going to do something and actually doing it are two different things. We should allow some roles to be filled by same person, except for the judiciary. While I do hope more nations become active on the forums in the future, we should have a plan in place that would take care of the eventual lull in activity.

Indeed. It isn't realistic to think that all 33 positions will be filled immediately, or for that matter ever be filled. 33 people is a pretty good chunk of the region, not to mention more nations than are already registered on the forums.
    Vernius
    Vernius

Post by Vernius Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 am

I understand your points, but my thought is that if 33 people can be bothered to respond to the poll, it's entirely possible (though not guaranteed) that they would care enough to follow through.
    Kaevi
    Kaevi
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

Post by Kaevi Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:36 am

Vernius wrote:I understand your points, but my thought is that if 33 people can be bothered to respond to the poll, it's entirely possible (though not guaranteed) that they would care enough to follow through.

It is not entirely possible. Clicking two buttons on a simple NS poll is far easier than registering, reading, and discussing issues on a separate forum. We have run into the issue before where we had nations in the region register on the forums and eventually getting a seat in government, but never being involved outside of that. This makes it impossible to get anything done as parliamentary voting counts cannot be reduced with the nation(s) still residing, although inactive, in the region to allow the active nations to pass any sort of legislation. This causes frustration among the active nations and those same nations become apathetic themselves.
    Vernius
    Vernius

Post by Vernius Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:46 am

I meant a poll on these forums (which a nation would have to register and take the time to vote), but I do understand your point.

New point: either we find a way to encourage activity in the regional government or we find a way to reduce the number of positions.
    Kaevi
    Kaevi
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

Post by Kaevi Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:52 am

Judiciary- no changes (7)

Lower House- allow Chancellor to be a lower house member (15  incl. 1)
    Upper House- allow President to be an upper house member (9 incl. 1)

This lowers the total nation count to 31.

Include a clause allowing up to 1/3 of upper house seats to be filled by lower house members except the Chancellor.

This lowers the total nation count to ~28.

-----

If this still seems to large, we may want to reduce the lower house seats to 11 or 13. We must remember that this isn't a huge region, so a large government isn't really necessary.
    Reisal
    Reisal
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Reisal Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:05 am

Kaevi wrote:Judiciary- no changes (7)

Lower House- allow Chancellor to be a lower house member (15  incl. 1)
    Upper House- allow President to be an upper house member (9 incl. 1)

This lowers the total nation count to 31.

Include a clause allowing up to 1/3 of upper house seats to be filled by lower house members except the Chancellor.

This lowers the total nation count to ~28.

-----

If this still seems to large, we may want to reduce the lower house seats to 11 or 13. We must remember that this isn't a huge region, so a large government isn't really necessary.
    Exactly. Our current numbers  needs to be cut down.

Lets get the essentials down first:

We need the Chancellor and the  President --- 2

We also need a chief Justice --- 3

Then we need asscociate justices (I think there should be 3) --- 7

Lower house needs to be cut down, maybe 7 seats --- 14

Upper house should have 5 seats --- 19

19 nations is a fair size for a region like us
    Kaevi
    Kaevi
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

Post by Kaevi Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:42 am

Talanzaar wrote:
    Exactly. Our current numbers  needs to be cut down.

Lets get the essentials down first:

We need the Chancellor and the  President --- 2

We also need a chief Justice --- 3

Then we need asscociate justices (I think there should be 3) --- 7

Lower house needs to be cut down, maybe 7 seats --- 14

Upper house should have 5 seats --- 19

19 nations is a fair size for a region like us

Three associate justices, plus the chief would give an even amount in the judiciary. This could make verdicts difficult when the court is evenly divided. I say 4 associates with a chief.

Although your numbers are the most realistic of what we're able to get as of now, we may want to include a clause that adds a certain amount of seats to the upper and lower houses for every 200 nations who join the region. After 500 or so nations reside in the region, the judiciary would add two associate seats. Whether or not we will ever reach this amount is uncertain, but at least we would have a plan in place.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 pm