Esamir

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum for Esamir, a Nationstates Region.

+3
Kaevi
Eurasia
UK of Zackalantis
7 posters

(R(I)) Resolution for Nuclear Security and Disarmament

UK of Zackalantis
    UK of Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

(R(I)) Resolution for Nuclear Security and Disarmament  Empty (R(I)) Resolution for Nuclear Security and Disarmament

Post by UK of Zackalantis Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Topic: Nuclear Security and Disarmament
    Author: United Kingdoms of Zacakalantis

Aware of the dangers that nuclear weapons and other weapon's of mass destruction (WMDs) pose to mankind and the environment,

Noting that nuclear weapons and WMDs must be handled with high standards of security,

Fully Aware that nuclear energy has potent peaceful uses,

Concerned with the threat that arises when WMDs are in the hands of non-state actors.

1. Discourages nations from continued nuclear weapons research and manufacture;

2. Encourages all nations to begin the systematic disarmament of their nuclear arsenal;

3. Calls upon the Security Council to launch periodic investigations into the security of nuclear warheads belonging to nations that have failed to disarm investigating solely the following criteria: Threat to the environment, Security against intrusion of non-state actors;

a) Establishes the investigations along the following lines
    i) In the first round of investigations all nuclear states must be subject to the investigations
    ii) In the second round of investigations only those nations that have unsatisfactory safety and security standards are to be a subject to it.
    iii) In subsequent investigations those nations that have still failed to meet Safety and Security standards are to be subject to it.
    iv) At a time so determined by the SC all nuclear states must be subjected to the investigations again.

b) At the end of every investigation the team is to submit a report to the SC and that particular nation's safety an security standards.

4. Forbids nations from trading their nuclear arsenal with other nations which do not posses nuclear warheads;

5. Endorses all Unilateral, Bilateral and Multilateral attempts at Confidence Building Measures.

We welcome all amendments and inputs into this resolution. Resolutions passed here in the GA are not binding therefore we have made sure that nations refusing to disarm their weapons are kept in check as well.

Last edited by Zackalantis on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:06 am; edited 3 times in total
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

(R(I)) Resolution for Nuclear Security and Disarmament  Empty Re: (R(I)) Resolution for Nuclear Security and Disarmament

Post by Eurasia Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:46 am

Eurasia is concerned about clause 3, specifically that it could be a possible violation of sovereignty. As this resolution does not and cannot mandate disarmament, it is highly unlikely all states in esamir will unilaterally disarm. Thus, this could result in the Security Council being forced to periodically investigate every nuclear state.

Eurasia would prefer that the clause be amended to specify the Security Council can launch an investigation if it believes there to be environmental contamination or a possible security breach, so as to avoid any violations of national sovereignty.
    Kaevi
    Kaevi
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

(R(I)) Resolution for Nuclear Security and Disarmament  Empty Re: (R(I)) Resolution for Nuclear Security and Disarmament

Post by Kaevi Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:59 am

The debate period has now begun, ending on April 28, 2016, at 00:00 UTC.
    The Secretary-General may close the debate period at any time.
    Votes cast during this time will not be counted.
    Kaevi
    Kaevi
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

Post by Kaevi Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:07 am

Zackalantis wrote:Resolutions passed here in the GA are not binding...
    Actually most/all of them are binding.

Aside from that, we support what this resolution seeks to accomplish. However, we find it confusing that at first you only encourage nuclear disarmament, yet this proposal later states that the SC shall be compelled to ensure that nations do disarm.
    UK of Zackalantis
    UK of Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

Post by UK of Zackalantis Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:58 am

The SC does not compel any nation to disarm. All it does is carries out investigations as to if nations that chose not to disarm are keeping their warheads secure against intrusion or environmental harm.

Eurasia we do not see this as a violation of sovereignty. It is only to make sure that security and safety standards are met.
    Your amendment doesn't really tackle the problem. It serves as a cure rather than a precaution. If we have regular checks that way we can prevent any mishaps by pointing out in which way nations are lacking in security and safety and give them an opportunity to patch in the holes.

OOC: Kaevi, in the real UN all GA Resolutions are non-binding only SC resolutions are binding on all member states.
    Federation of Antanares
    Federation of Antanares
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Federation of Antanares Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Well, Antanares support any resolution that would assure the peace and the stability of our region. But we want that you assure that no organization of the Esamir will never violate the sovereignty of our nation.
    UK of Zackalantis
    UK of Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

Post by UK of Zackalantis Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Such an assurance cannot be provided by this resolution but since all nations have a say in Esamir organizations such a situation will not arise.
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:09 am

We agree with Antanares. Unless you can assure us that this legislation will not violate sovereignty in the manner we have described, we do not feel it is the correct approach.
    UK of Zackalantis
    UK of Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

Post by UK of Zackalantis Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:18 am

How will this violate sovereignty in any way?

The investigations don't look into number of warheads, or the efficiency of the warheads with regards to its target radius but only determines how secure these nations are keeping they're warheads in order to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands or even damaging the environment.

Further more the SC has the right to launch these investigations periodically as determined by it. So unless the SC is suddenly committed to violating a nation's sovereignty through these tests we don't see what threats to sovereignty this resolution may provide.

This resolution as a whole has 0 threats to sovereignty it depends on the integrity of the already existing Esamir SC mechanics.
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:30 am

No, this resolution mandates the SC conduct periodic investigations into a nation's nuclear arsenal, regardless of the necessity therein. The SC should only be required to launch an investigation if it believes it has probable cause to do so, not because it is mandated by a resolution. That is a sovereignty violation, as it mandates a nation must surrender itself to mandatory investigations by a third party entity without any real justification other than "this resolution says so." Eurasia cannot vote for this resolution if it fails to make that vital disctinction.
    UK of Zackalantis
    UK of Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

Post by UK of Zackalantis Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:34 am

We already mentioned as to why we believe investigations need to be carried out. Please pay attention to the sub-clauses the investigations are to focus on these aspects alone.

Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:54 am

We are aware of the subclauses. However, the phrase "keeping in mind the following aspects" only implies the Security Council should possibly be aware of that nuance whilst performing routine investigations. Effectively, if the clause immediately prior to clause three is taken into account, this resolution simply encourages states to disarm nuclear weaponry, something Eurasia will note the UKZ has been acting in direct contravention to, while simultaneously using the Security Council as a policeman of sorts to punish nations who do not unilateraly disarm with routine and invasive investigations.

If the UKZ actually means that the Security Council is to focus solely on those aspects, Eurasia would support that part of the resolution, however the UKZ has not been forthright and clear as to what its intentions are with this legislation. This resolution still mandates periodic investigations of all nuclear states regardless of the threat they may or may not pose to the environment. We will reiterate, the Security Council should be encouraged to investigate nuclear states, but only if the Security Council believes them to be requiring investigation. As it stands, this resolution serves only to violate the sovereignty of all nuclear states with invasive probes by the Security Council without any real necessity, other than the author, the UKZ, stubbornly refusing to change their resolution.

As it stands, Eurasia sees absolutely no reason to vote for this highly flawed resolution.
    New Tarajan
    New Tarajan
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by New Tarajan Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:04 am

New Tarajan fully supports this resolution. Thus, we agree that we need to address the concerns expressed by other States in order to push this through the Assembly.
    We are sure that, in order to accomplish this goal, only minor adjustments to the draft are needed.

However, it is also necessary that all those States concerned try to adopt a more constructive approach toward this Resolution.

As a first step towards the adoption of this Resolution, we can work on the correction of the clauses about the investigations to be carried on by the SC.
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:08 am

Eurasia agrees with New Tarajan. While we cannot support this in its current form, were the rather trivial amendments we suggested be implemented, we would have no hesitation in supporting it.
    UK of Zackalantis
    UK of Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

Post by UK of Zackalantis Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:12 am

UKZ will note that Eurasia is being highly unreasonable. However we have brought about some changes to Clause 3 by adding subclause a and b.

Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:21 am

Zackalantis wrote:UKZ will note that Eurasia is being highly unreasonable. However we have brought about some changes to Clause 3 by adding subclause a and b.

Eurasia will note that it does not care whether the UKZ thinks it is being unreasonable or not.
    UK of Zackalantis
    UK of Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

Post by UK of Zackalantis Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:34 am

We look forward to all reasonable and constructive opinions on the new changes we have made to the resolution.

Through these amendments what we aim to achieve is the resting of all perceptions of nuclear states being victimised by investigations. So no investigations will be carried out unless you have holes in your security of warheads.

However we do have another cycle of investigations to find out if updates for security are holding up.
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:16 am

On request of the Secretary-General, the Chief Justice of Esamir has been appointed Secretary-General Pro Tempore

The voting period has now begun, ending on May 2, 2016, at 00:00 UTC.
    Nations may submit a vote in favor, against, or abstention.
    Votes of abstention will be counted as votes of abstention. .
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:17 am

AGAINST

Last edited by Eurasia on Wed May 04, 2016 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    New Tarajan
    New Tarajan
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by New Tarajan Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:18 am

FOR

P.S.: What happened to the Secretary-General?
    UK of Zackalantis
    UK of Zackalantis
    Common State
    Common State

Post by UK of Zackalantis Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:20 am

FOR
    Arveyres
    Arveyres
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

Post by Arveyres Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:30 am

ABSTAIN

Edit was to change the color

Last edited by Arveyres on Wed May 04, 2016 12:15 am; edited 3 times in total
    Eurasia
    Eurasia
    Supremacy
    Supremacy

Post by Eurasia Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:04 am

New Tarajan wrote:FOR

P.S.: What happened to the Secretary-General?

Kaevi just asked me to do it for him he's busy
    -Eurasia
    Aloia
    Aloia
    Ascendancy
    Ascendancy

Post by Aloia Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:08 am

AGAINST
    Federation of Antanares
    Federation of Antanares
    Global Force
    Global Force

Post by Federation of Antanares Tue May 03, 2016 10:00 pm

FOR

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 pm